To be automatically notified when there are new postings to the blog please enter your email address below:

Friday, August 3, 2012

Basil - from the Savvy Housekeeper

 from: http://www.savvyhousekeeping.com/category/gardening/

10 Types of Basil

Filed under: Gardening — Savvy Housekeeper at 7:45 am on Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Basil is my favorite herb. I used to grow it in the window every year, but then I realized it does much better outside, so now I grow several plants every year, usually ending up with more than I can use. But no matter, it can easily be frozen in ice cubes:

I usually grow basil from seeds, but I’ve also bought starter plants from the nursery. This can be perplexing, as there are many types of basil out there. My favorite is the Italian Large Leaf basil, which has giant leaves and a sweet flavor that’s great in sauces. But there are many other types of basil, like Cinnamon Basil, which has a cinnamon flavor to it; or Mammoth Basil, which is big enough to roll food in; or Purple Basil, which is, well, purple.
The Herb Companion has an article on 10 Types of Basil, going over the most common kinds of basil. I’m interested to try Siam Queen, which is “the best of the Thai-type basils; licorice aroma and flavor are especially good in fish and beef dishes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment